Welcome to the College Football Playoff Edition of SEC Football Predictions. These predictions will be for College Football Playoff games taking place New Year’s Day.
When determining which team has an advantage in a bowl game, the variables are much different than when previewing a regular season game. Stats and tendencies are useful for regular-season games, but rendered pretty much useless for bowl games. Questions like, “Which team has something to prove?” or “Who has more players looking ahead to the NFL Draft?” are as effective as any stat or regular season precedent.
All Times Eastern | Utilizing College Football Playoff Selection Committee Rankings.
Monday, January 1, 2018
Rose Bowl Game Presented By Northwestern Mutual – CFP Semifinal
#3 Georgia (12-1, SEC Champions) vs #2 Oklahoma (12-1, Big 12 Champions)
5:00 PM ET | ESPN | Pasadena, CA
- 5 – Interceptions thrown by senior Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield.
- 41 – Touchdowns thrown by Baker Mayfield.
- 3 – Games in which freshman Georgia quarterback Jake Fromm has thrown for at least 200 yards.
- 46 – Yards rushing for Georgia against Auburn in the first game at Auburn.
- 238 – Yards rushing for Georgia against Auburn in the rematch at the SEC Championship Game in Atlanta.
- 7 – Games played before the Sooners’ leading rusher, sophomore Rodney Anderson, had over 50 yards rushing and greater than 10 carries in a game.
PREDICTION: Georiga 34, Oklahoma 31 (OVERTIME)
Allstate Sugar Bowl – CFP Semifinal
#4 Alabama (12-1, At-Large) vs #1 Clemson (12-1, ACC Champions)
8:45 PM ET | ESPN | Pasadena, CA
- 14 – The highest number of pass completions in one game (Fresno State, Sept. 9) for Alabama sophomore quarterback Jalen Hurts.
- 24 – The highest number of pass attempts in one game (LSU, Nov. 4) for Jalen Hurts.
- 3 – Consecutive years Alabama and Clemson have played in the College Football Playoff.
- 3 – Clemson players with over 600 yards rushing on the season (Freshman Travis Etienne, sophomore Tavien Feaster, and junior quarterback Kelly Bryant).
- 8 – Alabama players averaging at least 5.08 yards per carry.
- 6 – Total margin of victory in the previous two match-ups.
PREDICTION: Alabama 28, Clemson 17
Eric Taylor is a contributor to FBSchedules.com. Follow him on Twitter @EricFromSpfld or contact him via email at EricFromSpringfield–at– gmail–dot– com. Eric sprinkles his talents across the property & casualty insurance sector and the comedy writing world. Luckily, he makes his living doing insurance, but be sure to Like the Facebook page Facebook.com/EricTaylorWritesStuff for updates on other stuff Eric may be writing or doing.