2018 SEC Football Predictions | Week 10
Week 9 Record (1-4), Overall Record (57-20)
There were only five SEC football games to predict in Week 9 and I somehow managed to miss four of them. My worst loss total of the 2018 season. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t get caught in the hype of the Week 10 Alabama-LSU showdown in Baton Rouge. Ed Orgeron was talking to Tua Tagovailoa at a high school football game where Bear Bryant’s kinfolk was playing quarterback against Tua’s brother. All the meta.
Let’s not put off the predicting any longer. We have an SEC Division Championship doubleheader on CBS Saturday with Georgia traveling to Lexington to take on Kentucky to determine the champion of the SEC East, and, of course, Alabama heads to Baton Rouge to face LSU in the primetime nightcap to decide the West champ. We are getting word from the SEC offices in Birmingham that there are other games as well.
All Times Eastern | Utilizing the College Football Playoff Selection Committee Rankings.
Saturday, November 3rd, 2018
South Carolina (4-3, 3-3) at Ole Miss (5-3, 1-3 SEC)
Noon ET | SEC Network
A word of wisdom: South Carolina will win this game.
PREDICTION: South Carolina 28, Ole Miss 24
#20 Texas A&M (5-3, 3-2 SEC) at Auburn (5-3, 2-3 SEC)
Noon ET | ESPN
A word of wisdom: Will Auburn put everything together in November? I don’t see it happening.
PREDICTION: Texas A&M 31, Auburn 20
#6 Georgia (7-1, 4-1) at #9 Kentucky (7-1, 5-1 SEC)
3:30 PM ET | CBS
A word of wisdom: The Cardiac Cats have another opportunity to live up to their name this Saturday in Lexington in game one of a blockbuster doubleheader on CBS. Kentucky’s only loss came in overtime at the hands of Texas A&M on the road in College Station.
Georgia is not as good as the 2017 version, but the Dawgs should have enough depth to end the Wildcats’ run to Atlanta. It will be a low-scoring game and will cause heartbreak for the home fans in blue.
PREDICTION: Georgia 23, Kentucky 20
Missouri (4-4, 0-4 SEC) at #11 Florida (6-2, 4-2 SEC)
4:00 PM ET | SEC Network
A word of wisdom:Both teams are coming off season debilitating losses. Florida has home field and enough to play for to get the close win over the Tigers.
PREDICTION: Florida 28 Missouri 17
Charlotte (4-4) at Tennessee (3-5, 1-4 SEC)
7:30 PM ET |SEC Network
A word of wisdom: This is not a terrible Charlotte team and don’t be surprised if the 49ers are still in the game at the end of the first half. Tennessee will still win, though.
PREDICTION: Tennessee 32, Charlotte 24
Louisiana Tech (6-2) at #18 Mississippi State (5-3, 2-3 SEC)
4:00 PM ET | SEC Network
A word of wisdom: The Bulldogs of Starkville are praying for 32 overtimes in the Bama-LSU game. Mississippi State can’t wait to get this game over with so they can stop pretending they aren’t looking ahead to next week’s Alabama contest.
PREDICTION: Mississippi State 33, Louisiana Tech 6
#1 Alabama (8-0, 5-0 SEC ) at #3 LSU (7-1, 4-1 SEC)
8:00 PM ET | CBS
A buncha words about a game with a bunch on the line:
- Tua Tagovailoa has 25 touchdown passes on the season.
- This is five touchdowns shy of tying AJ McCarron’s school-record 30 touchdown passes in 2012.
- This is 25 touchdowns for a quarterback that has yet to play one down in the fourth quarter as we head into November.
- This is 25 touchdowns on 152 attempts.
- But yeah, I think we get it. Tua is pretty good.
- Although the “Alabama hasn’t played anybody” narrative is getting old, but LSU wouldn’t be wrong for uttering those words when comparing schedules.
- Seriously, though. Of Tua’s 107 completions, 81 resulted in first downs. So, 26 pass completions did not result in first downs. The defensive players who forced something besides a touchdown or first down deserve a Medal of Valor.
- The most undervalued and underappreciated gaudy stat holder is senior LSU placekicker Cole Tracy. Tracy has been successful on 21-of-23 attempts (91.3 percent) with a long of 54 yards and includes a clutch 42-yard game-winner on the last play of the game at Auburn.
- If anyone has the horses and scheme to stop Tua, it’s LSU defensive coordinator Dave Aranda. Aranda’s $2 million-plus salary will become the bargain of the century if the Tiger defense can find a way to end Tua Madness.
- LSU junior quarterback Joe Burrow has thrown six touchdowns. Joe is good. But his game management and smart play will only go so far before the air is taken out.
- Questions you will hear or want to ask yourself:
- Will Alabama utilize the running game or will LSU stymie Alabama’s offense?
- Will Tua do Tua or will Dave Aranda do Dave Aranda?
PREDICTION: Alabama 31, LSU 17
Open Date: Arkansas and Vanderbilt
Eric Taylor is a contributor to FBSchedules.com. Follow him on Twitter @EricFromSpfld or contact him via email at EricFromSpringfield@gmail.com. Be sure to Like the Facebook page Facebook.com/EricTaylorWritesStuff for the latest on the 2018 SEC Football Predictions as well as all the things.