The 2018 college football schedule is set and kicks off with four Week Zero games on Saturday, Aug. 25. For most Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) teams, their slate includes a game against a school from the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS).
Of the 130 FBS teams, 108 (83%) will play at least one game against an FCS opponent in 2018. Overall, there will be 111 FBS vs. FCS games.
The Florida Gators are one of three teams that will play two FCS opponents in 2018. Florida, which opens the season against Charleston Southern, found themselves with a second FCS game when the Idaho Vandals dropped down from the FBS to the FCS.
Army is scheduled to host back-to-back FCS opponents in November. The Black Knights will square off with Lafayette on Nov. 10 and Colgate on Nov. 17.
The Liberty Flames, which will play as an FBS Independent, are set to host Norfolk State and Idaho State. Liberty is classified as “FBS transitional” this season and will not be eligible for a bowl, thus allowing them to schedule two FCS opponents without a negative effect.
Here are some FBS vs. FCS numbers for the 2018 football season:
Teams that don’t play FCS teams in 2018 (22)
Arizona State, Boise State, Indiana, Maryland, Miami (Ohio), Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northern Illinois, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers, Texas, UCLA, USC, UTSA, Wisconsin
Teams that play two FCS teams in 2018 (3)
Army, Florida, Liberty
Games vs. FCS teams by conference
- SEC – 15
- ACC – 14
- C-USA – 13
- AAC – 12
- MWC – 11
- MAC – 10
- Sun Belt – 10
- Pac-12 – 9
- Big 12 – 8
- Independents – 7
- Big Ten – 2
FCS teams that defeated FBS teams in 2017
- Tennessee State – 17-10, Georgia State
- James Madison – 34-14, East Carolina
- Liberty – 48-45, Baylor
- Howard – 43-40, UNLV
- New Hampshire – 22-12, Georgia Southern
- South Dakota – 35-27, Bowling Green
- North Carolina A&T – 35-31, Charlotte
- Idaho State – 30-28, Nevada
- Western Illinois – 52-10, Coastal Carolina
FBS vs. FCS teams that finished in Top 100 of 2017 Sagarin Ratings
- NC State – vs. James Madison (44)
- Iowa State – vs. South Dakota State (63)
- Iowa – vs. Northern Iowa (78)
- Utah – vs. Weber State (80)
- Illinois – Western Illinois (82)
- Kansas State – vs. South Dakota (90)
- West Virginia – vs. Youngstown State (94)